Re: [OM] Latest attempt at shameless plugs and sample photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Latest attempt at shameless plugs and sample photos
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 01:18:49 -0600
Moose's alterations aren't iPad friendly, so I'm not sure what he did yet.
But I do want to address a couple of things.

The overexposed look was part accident, part intentional. This was SOOC.
>From an educational perspective, I'm not so sure how much people can learn
about the capture side of the equation from a heavily edited image.
Secondly, the overexposed look was partially intended because of a
particular CURRENT look which this shot was supposed to fulfill. I have
since worked on the image some and the toned down version maintains the
look without hurting your eyes. Other shots were better SOOC, but didn't
illustrate the background effect as well.

As to the skin. The edited version has a touch of color tone adjustment,
but my preference is for a bit more pink than what we normally see from
most digital cameras. Ideally, we'd have Portra's Peaches and Cream
tonalities, but no digital camera has successfully attained that. In this
SOOC image, I purposefully kept all texture intact. The pinkness is also
pretty specific to the color mapping choices Olympus made in the converter.
Adobe tends to desaturate the reds a little bit.

As the image is, it does convert to monochrome very well. I'm finding that
my B&W conversions look a lot better if the source image is punchy to begin
with.

Candace and I have had discussions about this current look and why it has
come about. For portraiture, it actually fits my style a bit more. For
example, in B&W portraiture, I prefer raising skintones with an orange
filter, but other people prefer using a green filter to add more texture to
the face. We didn't come to any conclusions other than that the current
style of blowing out the image is stupid, but it is too easy to fall behind
and out of style.

I looked at this image on four different screens. Each one presented the
skin brightness so differently that I'll just say that on my two I use for
prepping for Millers, the image wasn't as far out as it probably looks on
yours. When it comes to people prints, I always leave the final judgement
to the professionals and they really don't do much correction to E1 files.
Based on past experience this shot will actually print up pretty nicely for
the final use.

Chuck, the exposures were auto flash and chimped for background.

AG

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx