Re: [OM] Need new camera? G3 or ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Need new camera? G3 or ?
From: WayneS <olympus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2011 07:30:59 -0500
My main requirements were a small system, good viewfinder and good low light
performance.

I still love my Canon 5D and lenses, but if I put it in the bag, with24-105 and
another long lens (80-200/2.8) or even the 100mm macro, it is a lot of weight
and bulk to be traveling with. When I use it, it is a very deliberate choice
and usually with a photo mission in mind.

But for traveling, getting on planes, going to a concert, walking around the
streets, out to the restaurant, to just have a decent camera on hand that
doesn't get in the way, is my goal, yet I would like it to perform well if the
great sunset or perfect moment happens. I'm not likely to pack the 5D + 24-105
in a bag and head into Boston for the night out.

I have not been enthused with Sony cameras to date, and have no experience on
their lens quality.

The objection to no IS in the camera is not one that I consider a limitation,
since I'm used to IS in lenses for my 5D. And in fact wonder if the Sony in
lens OSS performance (claimed 4 stops) might be easier to achieve in the lens
versus in the camera? I have no experience with in camera IS.

I'm also not likely to try and attach any Canon lenses on this either, after
looking into it and what you loose to do so. And if I had leica glass, seems
they work well on this camera.

So, for low light it looked like the M43rds was the smallest system, but then
the NEX-5n with APS-C sensor and really small camera with excellent OLED
viewfinder (option) seemed like the best choice. Two lenses can get 28-300
range and fit in my old photorunner bag I used for the OM system.

I'll see how my choice measures up.

At one point on the list, a TOPE topic was using one lens. Sometimes using a
prime lens exercises ones creativity and vision. For that, someday I may spring
for the new Carl Zeiss 24/1.8 glass (35mm on APS-C), but $999 makes me think of
Herman Cain, so I can't go there yet, maybe someday.

WayneS