Re: [OM] Need new camera? G3 or ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Need new camera? G3 or ?
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 19:19:11 -0800 (PST)
I only read about the A77, I have handled the A55 and it is tiny, it is just as
small as my Minolta A200, which is a subcompact.

I honestly don't understand how a smaller camera would be comfortable and my
hands are really small.

I dissed the G3 for several reasons, exposed sensor (actually I dont know this
for sure, at least the 1 and 2 were).  IS in the lens...and a lot more.

I also know of the 60D.  It has attractive design, but the "exposure
simulation" as Canyon calls it is so primitive, even my A200 which is now seven
years old does it much better (actually except for other Sony cameras there is
still no camera that could come even remotely close to the A200 in that
department) Yes, it also works in all settings, not only manual.

As far as adapters available, I dont know.  I dont intend to use any of my old
lenses, as far as I know, there are limitations for using those.  I view
cameras as tools, that would help me achieve the result I want.  I dont
remember who was, but long time ago someone on this list shared that he was
challenging himself to shoot with only one lens, of fixed focal length, I think
it was 50mm.  I always wandered how many opportunities he missed, while trying
to adapt himself to the tool instead the other way around.

Wayne has to put down a firm set of requirements, but I think too small is
equally as bad as the too large.  It looks like he wants to carry it around, so
the G3 with its exposed sensor is a no-no.  IMHO, if he wants to buy into a new
system, Sony is the only way to go as it is the only manufacturer that produces
tools that adapt to your style.  When it comes to old lenses and all that other
stuff, he has more choices.

Best

Boris

From:   Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Sun, 06 Nov 2011 20:11:36 -0800

On 11/6/2011 2:57 PM, Willie Wonka wrote:
> Don't listen to any of them, Wayne...:)
>
> I would recommend any of the Sony SLT series cameras, because are a lot more
> useful than the HEX.

The SLT series look like excellent cameras. PopPhoto just gave the A77 a rave
review as the best APS sensor camera they
have ever tested. However, I don't see how they are enough smaller and lighter
to meet Wayne's stated needs.

> Once I move, I will be shooting more often, currently the Sony A55 is just a
> steal.  Thats what I am getting.  Tiny, with articulated LCD (don't
> underestimate the versatility of this tool, once you use it, it becomes
> addictive)

Absolutely! I hope never to buy a camera without one until the wireless ones
show up.

> , but the best feature of all Sony cameras is the "Live View" implementation.
>  Set the camera in Manual mode, start playing with the controls and watch in
> real time how the picture would turn out.  Perfect exposure 100% of the time,
> not to mention the fact that you nail the high/low key thingie the first time
> around. There is no one else in the industry at present that really knows how
> to do this right.

I have no way to compare the practical results of various implementations.
However, my Canon 60D offers the same thing
in Live View on the LCD. They call it Exposure Simulation and it includes every
setting. When the scene/exposure is too
bright or dark to simulate, it shows on the LCD. One may turn Exposure
Simulation on and off.

Of course, the SLTs offer the same thing through the viewfinder on the EVF.
I've not tried that, but imagine some people
would prefer the EVF and others the traditional type of viewfinder.

The other issue for me, and I imagine many others, is the need to convert to
Sony (& Minolta) lenses. Canon DLSRs, 4/3
and the mirrorless ILCs allow adapters for all the various special/specialized
lenses of other makes that we have.

Moose