Re: [OM] IMG: Quique Dacosta

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Quique Dacosta
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 14:57:44 -0500
> I hope they have an ambulance on standby.

There was a BBQ restaurant here in Des Moines (Big Daddy's) that had a
challenge. You had to eat one of their sandwiches (not overly large) with a
healthy dose of this amazingly brutal sauce on it. Miserably hot. The
challenge required that you eat it (and not barf it up). If you succeeded,
real money would pass hands. (mostly to a charity, but still).

So, one day, I ate there. Tried about a tablespoon of the sauce on my
sandwich. Not bad. Sweated a bit, but doing fine. (I wasn't doing the
challenge, but determined that I could have done it without too much
effort). Most people put about two drops on theirs and cry. I had a
tablespoon. Well, not content to let me be too haughty, he runs into the
kitchen and brings back another jar of something that looked like jelly.
Some experimental stuff. I later learned it was made from the Trinidad
Scorpion Pepper. When this guy asks you if you want to try an experiment and
you are already wading through the lake of fire, the smart answer would be
to say "no". But I had my pride (and curiousity) to deal with, so I said
"sure". I try a drop of it and determined that it had an interesting flavor,
but wasn't particularly hot, so I added a tablespoon of it on my sandwich.
Unfortunately, there was a delay of about a minute before the flames kicked
in. By that point it was far too late. The flames were of an entirely
different type, so it wasn't that it was just hotter than it was before, but
it was two distinct kinds of hot.

I would have been better off drinking gasoline and swallowing a match.

I did finish the sandwich, but was a bit green for the rest of the
afternoon. He couldn't believe that I ate it and said I was the first person
to eat more than a drop of the stuff. He was about to call the ambulance,

I've taken a difference stance since then. After succeeding at eating it,
I've determined that I successfully ate a hot sauce so hot that you could
cut steal with it without a torch. As far as hot sauces are concerned, it is
the top. No need to try for more. Been there, done that. Back to just normal
stuff that tops out under a million Scovilles. No need to willingly subject
myself to more torture. The problem with most of these sauces (Dave's
instanity sauce is a well-known example of this) is that they use capsaicin
extract to get the heat units up. Big Daddy's sauce got it directly from the
pepper itself.

I've contemplated the 70oz challenge, but the problem is that you have to
eat all the other stuff too.

AG