Re: [OM] Time to move on? Flood delay.

Subject: Re: [OM] Time to move on? Flood delay.
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 08:43:27 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

> > > Is having a 20+ megapixel camera something in the
> > > same vein as having a 60" plasma HD television?
> >
> > Probably little or none.  But it's getting hard to
> > find something smaller.  :-)
> >

> Canyon is going back to 18MP with their new flagship, Pana
> also switching back to 12MP from 14MP for their FZ series.
> They realized to increase the pixel quality (better d-range
> and high ISO performance) is more important than increase
> the number of MP.

     I fail to appreciate the overall need for higher pixel counts, except that
it will allow you a better opportunity to make enlargements.  After I set aside
the digital lenses and returned to film lenses I was able to use my earlier
film closeup accessories, and the 8MP of the E-500 has yet to hamper my ability
to take good quality flower and insect photos.  On the contrary, having done so
greatly expanded my opportunities to indulge in better quality lenses than I
had been using with film.

     My primary desire for obtaining an E-510/520 body is to be able to use a
cable remote, particularly the more sophisticated programmable ones such as
eBay #320706816451.  The increase to 10MP is an additional benefit, but not a
primary concern.

Chris