Re: [OM] Since we're talking about planes (actually on-topic)

Subject: Re: [OM] Since we're talking about planes (actually on-topic)
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 15:21:25 -0700

> The Vulcan remained in service long after it was obsolete; one of my main
> gripes about it was the attitude of HQ 1Group.  It was a very conservative
> HQ with too many navigators with positions of responsibility ;-).

    At least the Avro Vulcan was somewhat attractive.  At the opposite end
of that spectrum there was the Armstrong Whitworth C1 Argosy.  I got to see
one of these at RAF Machrihanish back in December 1975.  It was probably the
last one left flying at that point as they were removed from the inventory
in that year, according to one online resource.  The one I saw had the RAF
roundel and tail flash.

    Even less attractive is the Short 360, which is just a step above the
deHaviland Heron.  Try to imagine a 4-engine commuter aircraft powered by
six-cylinder Lycoming engines.  PrinAir in Puerto Rico used those.

Chris