Re: [OM] ETTR with the Sekonic L-508

Subject: Re: [OM] ETTR with the Sekonic L-508
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 05:58:26 -0600
I've gone back and re-read Carlos's post (and also checked the specs on
80A filters).  The filter factor for the various 80A brands sold by B&H
varies from 1 to 1.25 stops.  Not the 2 stops Carlos mentions but,
nevertheless, still a significant boost to be applied in post...
possibly affecting both noise and even posterization.

So, there is clearly a good point but there are confounding variables.
Compensating for the filter requires at least doubling the exposure time
or opening up a stop or doubling the ISO.  That's the negative half of
the pie I mentioned.  If it can be done by doubling the exposure time or
opening up a stop then I think there's a gain.  But, that's not always
possible.  If it's necessary to double the ISO then the effect of a 1
stop noise increase has just been applied to all channels.

My own solutions would favor shooting to the right whenever possible ans
adjusting the red and green channels down rather than adjusting the blue
channel up.  I would also tend not to do a complete white balance, I
would still leave the image with a bit of red/yellow cast.  But even
more likely, I would fill the room with electronic sunlight which also
helps to alleviate the mixed lighting problem which is everywhere these
days.

Dr. Flash