[OM] IMG: Signs of Fall

Subject: [OM] IMG: Signs of Fall
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2011 19:24:14 -0400 (EDT)
Yep single spot is male. The solid black front wingtip clearly
discriminates it from a male Checkered White that can be mistaken for
this
species. I learned that they were only introduced in 1860 and seem to
have taken over the universe.

Talk about working distance and not scaring critters---480mm, wow.
Seems to work.

"Single Spot" but House not on the National Register, Mike

On 10/10/2011 11:08 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Leaves are very late in our area of MA this year.

A little color starting on MDI when we left. Lots of color, perhaps
peak, on
the Maine Pike going South from Old Orchard
Beach yesterday, and still lots of color through NH and first part of
MA. I
wonder if the exhaust chems and/or the local
weather effect of the wide highway clearing speeds the process along it.

> Just about record warmth again today.

In the low 80s even out on the Cape yesterday. Cooler and overcast so
far
today, but looks like the sun is about to make
an appearance, so we are off to wander.

> Nice capture of what I presume is a female (two spots) Cabbage White.
> Very common 'round here but quite difficult to get a nice shot like
> that as they don't stay put for more than a sec.

Yes, very flighty. I did manage to catch this on in Tremont a couple of
days
ago. Single spot means male?
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneo
us/Bugs%21&image=_MG_3863croof40.jpg>

Carol just told me we are staying in a house, the Leander Gould House,
that's
on the National Register.

Travelin' Moose