Re: [OM] IMG: Red Knight Clean-Up

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Red Knight Clean-Up
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 17:04:26 -0700

> >    My second flying experience that summer was at the controls of a
C-54.
> > I would often go out to base ops and look across the field to the Coast
> > Guard station, where they had a half dozen SA-16's (Grumman Albatross).
> > That was my first choice (USAF Air Sea Rescue) and the C-130 was second.
> > Most of the people in my UPT class had never heard of the SA-16.
> >

> I had to look that up, Chris, and it was renamed HU-16, according to
> Wikipedia.  What does the 'HU' designation mean?  "Humanitarian", perhaps?

    I don't know why they changed the designation.  Might have been
something to do with the Coast Guard, or some beaureaucrat was looking for
something to do.  They did the same thing with the C-130EII, redesignating
it as a C-130H, which it wasn't.  It was an interim production run of 31
aircraft that were much modified C-130E models.  They were eventually all
sold to Canada.  I flew two of them.  They had the C-130H engines and
hydraulic systems, and the biggest change was the spar box that the wings
attached to.  It was made out of Boron filaments laminated in epoxy.  Saved
300lb.  That was one change that did NOT end up in the C-130H.

Chris