[OM] 100 shootout

Subject: [OM] 100 shootout
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 20:11:33 -0400 (EDT)
Before digging into full wave dof calculations vs thin lens
approximation and correspondence with Nasse at Zeiss,
would not have thought such a dof discrepancy
could be real. It seems very possible now. Real FL differences also
change the distribution of the dof, but don't know
the actual measured FL for each of the Zuikos and doubt they differ by
very much. First thought the differences
might be due to focus shift----see the demonstration below with the
Zeiss 85/1.4. Fast lenses of certain designs w/o floating elements
often shift focus stopping down. Dr. Nasse seems to get pinged on this
issue a bunch.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Zeiss-85mm-f-1.4-ZE-Planar-Lens-Review.aspx

Then AG said he had focused at the shooting aperture, which
ruled that out.

Still, a similar set up with the Zuikos might easily resolve the
question unequivocally.
Would need to be cautious with the  experimental design.  Dr. Focus
appears to be around to help.
Anyway enjoyed the post.

Mike

When shot at exactly the same apertures, and carefully