Re: [OM] 100 shootout

Subject: Re: [OM] 100 shootout
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayne.harridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 12:16:27 +1000
Good question, see this link:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/
zuiko/htmls/100mm.htm

...and just quoting a small section:

" Focusing features floating rear elements to counter and suppress
distortion to absolute minimal level. While Extra-Low Dispersion (ED) glass
and special dispersion glass with high refractive index and low dispersion
optical properties are used in the front lense elements to provide extremely
high resolution and contrast images. The extra-low dispersion glass ("ED")
with superior chromatic-aberration-correcting properties, enables secondary
colour spectrum in particular, blue and red light rays be brought to focus
at the same plane to offer images with crisps, sharp details and faithful
colour reproduction. There are only TWO known Zuiko lenses below 100mm focal
length which use ED glasses thus far in their optical composition, other
than the Zuiko AUTO-T 100mm f/2.0 discussed here, another ZUIKO lense was
actually a very fast speed Zoom lense, the ZUIKO 35-80mm f/2.8ED which
incidentally, was introduced at a very late stage back in 1996.
Incidentally, the Zuiko AUTO MACRO 90mm f/2.0 which offers as alternative to
this lense as it has the same lense speed at f/2.0 but its main strength is
being a true MACRO lense which can focus from infinity to 1:2 life size
reproduction at its closest working range."

So perhaps the floating rear elements have some effect on the DOF ?

...Wayne