Re: [OM] Another Film vs digital debate of note

Subject: Re: [OM] Another Film vs digital debate of note
From: John Lind <j-a-lind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 13:42:37 -0400
I concur with Ag's observation about Provia 100F, almost a "deal breaker" with
me in spite of other excellent characteristics and I know I cannot use it in
any situation with prominent pinpoint specular highlights. The major reason it
suffers the disdain, ridicule and scorn from many RR photogs as its abysmal
anti-halation shines through inescapably whenever an engine headlamp is in the
image.

By contrast, one of the best ant-halation (color) chromes was either loved or
hated without much ambivalence, it's narrow latitude and shadow handling among
the complaints of its detractors. Even so, it was the color film of choice by
Nat'l Geographic for decades. Sadly, Kodachrome is no more, including it's
processing. IMHO K25 was one of the most phenomenal and highest res films if
one's optical train was at the same level as the film's modulation transfer
function (and enough light could be had for proper exposure).

John

Sent from my iPhone