Re: [OM] Another Film vs digital debate of note

Subject: Re: [OM] Another Film vs digital debate of note
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 10:35:18 -0700

> Does this go by another name today?  Kodak's web site does not list any
> film named Tri-Pan-X.  The highest resolution B&W professional film
> listed there is Kodak Professional T-MAX 100.  Very good resolution
> (looks to be about 125 lines/mm at 50% contrast) but it would likely
> require studio conditions and massive camera support to take advantage
> of it.
>
> Of course, with film you also have the option of (cheaply) going to
> larger formats.  You could use the more pedestrian T-MAX 400 (closer to
> 35mm size digital in resolution) and still beat 35mm digital on total
> image detail using 2-1/4 or larger... assuming you're not shooting at
> f/64.  :-)

    Looking through the B&H online catalogue, Kodak has Tri-X Pan (perhaps
that was what I was thinking of), Tri-X, and T-MAX.  They still have at
least one offering in 620 format.  Fuji and Ilford seem to have the most B&W
offerings, but I'm not familiar with their B&W products.  To my surprise,
the Kodak B&W 35mmm roll film is not expensive, and even the 120 format
doesn't make me cringe.  Looks like a number of suppliers have come up with
B&W emulsions that are adapted to the C-41 process.

Chris