Re: [OM] Upgrade to E-30?

Subject: Re: [OM] Upgrade to E-30?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 09:56:55 -0500
Well, I wouldn't consider an M8 with 35/1.4 to be a low-end bit-o-kit.

Noise isn't the issue--quality of the noise is. I've really liked how the M8
renders at higher ISOs.

I agree about the weight. I like using a massive camera-battery-lens-flash
combination at events because it helps people identify you as the one they
need to listen to. But I really prefer carrying a tiny camera if I can. Over
the past couple of years I've gone back to shooting events with the OM
system. The motordrive and 35-80 comes in handy and makes the camera very
usable, but throw it all on the T45 and it's one massively heavy beast. I
end up shooting more with a 24/2.8, 35/2.8 or 50/1.4 on a barebones OM body.
It allows me to work in more closely, people aren't scared of it and the
camera doesn't hurt me. I'll go with a couple of lockdown strobes and just
have a radio trigger in the hotshoe.

Last night I shot an event with the E-1 with PanaLeica 14-50. It was quite
dark and I had no flash--my entire portable flash kit is on loan this week.
I did need to crank the ISO up to obscene levels and I shot in-camera JPEG.
Are the pictures junk as a result? Hardly! They met the purpose and provided
the visual recording of the event that met and exceeded the usage. These
days, hardly anything is displayed beyond 600 pixel width and when printed,
the images are rarely larger than a wallet print. I can lament all I want
that I don't have the best camera around for high ISO stuff, but the fact
is, the E-1, in the right hands, is still better than anything else anybody
else had. Absolutely nobody is complaining about the results.

AG