Re: [OM] Any limitations on Zuikos with Canyon digital?

Subject: Re: [OM] Any limitations on Zuikos with Canyon digital?
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 12:53:51 -0700

> > I remember that Olympus recommended that Zuikos use only a certain range
> > of apertures when mounted on E-thingies, but I can't remember the
general
> > thrust of that advice.  What do you who have Canyon and Zuikos do about
> > max apertures?
> >

> This advice has always puzzled me.  I use Leica and Pentax legacy lenses
on
> my E-1 and E-510, and I use them from wide open to fully closed.  I have
> never seen any adverse effects from this practice.

    I recall that when I first got my E-500 users were advised that you
could not use film lenses (Zuiko and otherwise) on digital bodies, or
somthing to that effect.  When I later became discouraged with the cost of
growing with the digital lenses and began using manual lenses, I encountered
similar advise.  It didn't take long to understand that the advise may have
been overstated or intended to discourage people from using manual lenses,
but whether or not this was the case is unimportant.

    I have yet to encounter a manual lense that does not work with the
E-500, however there is something about the TTL metering that may be
affected, and we've discussed this here earlier, comparing the TTL metering
with hand-held meters.  I have one last meter arriving in the mail soon, and
then I'll be able to do a decent comparison.  So far, however, I have found
the General Electric PR-1 to be the most accurate, judging from the
resulting photos.

Chris