[OM] Add on camera software [was Light meter]

Subject: [OM] Add on camera software [was Light meter]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 19:46:32 -0700
On 9/7/2011 1:15 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Thanks, Mike.  You'd think a middle to high end DSLR would have stuff
> like that already built in.

CHDK is for Canon Powershot cameras, from fairly ordinary to the G series. Some
folks from that community started a
project for the DSLRs. The name is Magic Lantern.

It was driven by video makers, and has added functions to even modest Canons
that apparently brings them into the big
leagues. As it has developed, functions more for still shooters have also been
added.

Before you ask about the 5D, the whole thing depends on data from live view.
Makes sense, anyway, as so many of the
functions are used before or during shooting, with visual interface via the LCD.

I don't think I need or would use many of the functions, just as with CHDK, but
I'm looking into it to see if it can
give me one button movie mode, and the HDR bracketing, additional focus
control, etc. look interesting.

Moose