Re: [OM] OT:Mustang overhead

Subject: Re: [OM] OT:Mustang overhead
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 16:14:40 -0700

> Best I know the Lysander did have leading edge slats,(see at about 7:24 in
> the BBC2 clip above) and was a Teddy Petter design - he went on to design
> the Canberra and Folland Gnat, similarly "different" (if that concept is
> permissible) aircraft. "Over there" you know the Canberra as the Martin
> B-57.

    Yuck!  What an unsightly aircraft that was.  Somewhere there is a photo
of a flight line full of those in Viet Nam, all in their revetments and all
starting the engines with the infamous solid propellant cartridges.

    Some were heavily converted into high-altitude research aircraft with
large turbofan engines and extended wings.  NASA had most, if not all of
those.

Chris