Re: [OM] Irene

Subject: Re: [OM] Irene
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 20:01:42 -0700 (PDT)
I am glad you asked, Chris and here is a firsthand Irene report:

(BTW, everyone here agrees with you as this thing being overhyped.  As my
mother gets older, she gets scared easier and easier, so I feel your pain, poor
woman called about 113 211.11 times throughout needing comfort as she was
worried to death about our whereabouts, thanks to TV...:)

Lets begin with the most important thing: hurricane supplies.  Here is an
artistic representation of the official hurricane supply vehicle in front of
the official hurricane supply center-Moriarty's Liquor Locker:

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/alienspecimen/Irene/?action=view&current=5.jpg

I got one more for ya, so you can see the sign from the other side, how is that
for a handheld, huh?...:)

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/alienspecimen/Irene/?action=view&current=6.jpg

After we got out of there, we felt hurricane ready...needless to say, this was
the extend of our hurricane preparedness, little did we know...read on.

Next morning I woke up by the sounds of wind.  Unfortunately, not strong enough
to make me enjoy a drink, so I postponed the drinking part until later.  Around
8:30 things got better and I got out armed with a camera to turn around after
walking half a mile just because the weapon didnt have any ammo.  Yup, the
idiot forgot to take the cards...

So I got back, and then went to the beach, where saw this (look at the car...):

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/alienspecimen/Irene/?action=view&current=20.jpg

Keep in mind that the top of the concrete wall usually stands about ten feet
above the water during high tide.  Now the seas were swollen and the water
climbed up about five feet, yes those waves were at least six to fifteen feet
tall.

I turned hundred and eighty and started walking in the opposite direction.  It
had just rained for less than half an hour, but in front of this place (with
the closed for hurricanes sign...:) , BTW I took this picture on the second leg
of my trip) I was walking in knee-deep water.

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/alienspecimen/Irene/?action=view&current=7.jpg

I walked to the end of the beach and saw this:

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/alienspecimen/Irene/?action=view&current=3.jpg

At this time it was very difficult to take pictures as wind and rain were
pounding and my camera and lens were soaked.  I turned back and wanted to hide.
 This is a picture I took on the way home:

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/alienspecimen/Irene/?action=view&current=19.jpg

I was standing with my back turned towards the wind and barely able to keep
myself from falling over.  My attire consisted of a cotton t-shirt and a rain
jacket.  The raindrops were uncomfortably painful through all those layers of
clothing.

I went home and saw this:

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/alienspecimen/Irene/?action=view&current=17.jpg

Yes, my friends, I designed and built this playhouse.  I also knew at the time
that I have an old lady living next door and her trees were going to fail one
day...It is cuter than on the picture and it has a dutch door.

At that time, the entire family was up and excited.  We had a brunch and soon
after, the winds disappointingly died down.  We went for a walk, the atmosphere
was not pretty as there were dark low clouds and the wind was howling while
going through the electrical wires.

There are some pictures from the only boarded houses, as a bonus someone said
hi to me while I was taking a picture of his house and the roof shingles
flipping up.  Here they are:

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j54/alienspecimen/Irene/?start=all

I started writing this email yesterday about an hour before noon, but the
electricity went away, so we had to hear everyone else's generator, since we
dont have one.  Power came back up today at noon, but the internets didnt show
up until the evening.

Oh, and I forgot that if walked about two minutes earlier under one of the
trees in the adjacent streets, I was going to have a big branch on my head.
Actually I heard it cracking while passing by...

There you have it.  A close encounter with Irene.

Boris

(Who got so much hurricane supplies that nows having a hard time finishing them
off...)

P.S.  I hope John H. is OK tho...