Re: [OM] OT:Mustang overhead

Subject: Re: [OM] OT:Mustang overhead
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 21:47:47 +0100
That's a reasonable point, Charlie, but you are relying on the pilot's
commonsense as well.

These are minima and are intended to indicate what you should be aiming for as
a display pilot.  If you had someone heading for the crowd at 90 degrees at
high speed you would probably get a "knock it off" pretty smartly.  And if you
were displaying at high speed you wouldn't want to perform a manoeuvre at 90
degrees at high speed because you would start it too far away to be interesting.

What the display committee (and the original authoriser) will be looking for is
a display that shows well to the crowd and which doesn't infringe the
boundaries under adverse wind conditions (on-crowd wind).  A couple of years
ago we called "foul" on a C172 which was both flying through the line in turns
and was using excessive angles of bank at low speed; it has to look safe and
sensible, you see.

Chris