Re: [OM] (OM) Competition

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Competition
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 11:58:01 -0400
LCE (Local Contrast Enhancement) will add the oomph that I suggested.
It is done using unsharp mask with what are rather oddball parameters
relative to normal sharpening.  The size of the parameters are rather
reversed... one uses a small amount and a large radius.
See this link at Luminous Landscape:
<http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/contrast-enhancement.shtml>

I noticed what looked like blown highlights in your image but didn't
actually measure it.  If the highlights are blown adding LCE will not
worsen the situation... you can't get brighter than pure white.  If
you'll send me the raw image I'll see if I can recover any more of the
highlights using PS5 than you were able with Raw Therapee.

Yes, I do remember your "grouching about the inability of digital to
cope with highlights."  But one might just as well complain about slide
film's inability to cope with highlights.  It's not digital that's at
fault, it's the photographer who's at fault for neglecting the proper
use of a new tool.  Digital behaves much more like slide film than
negative film and even gives you much more dynamic range than slide film
ever did... so it's actually better at shadows/highlights than slide
film.  It also gives you an easily viewed histogram that tells you if
the highlights will be blown or not.  In fact, the info display on the
E-510 will also show you blinking underexposed shadow areas and blinking
overexposed highlight areas.  See page 67 of your manual.

All of the tools you require are easily accessible.  Your only problem
is to convince yourself that digital is different, not inferior, and
learn to use the tools provided.

Chuck Norcutt