[OM] (OM) Competition

Subject: [OM] (OM) Competition
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 23:33:13 +1200
Chuck wrote
> Are these those you thought you had lost? If so, where did you find them?
> All look good but, until I saw the comments on the first indicating it was
> taken on the E-510 I thought perhaps it was a scan from faded film. It can
> use a bit of LCE to add a bit of oooph.

The shot taken in the urban park "was" one of a set that I can't find now.
Because of the manner in which I store them, there should be an
alphanumerical sequence, broken only when the camera decides ( different
month or whatever). So it is very clear when any are missing, and there
were several.
I seldom discard, so that would not be the reason.

I don't know how I would add oomph to that shot. You might recall the time a
couple of years ago when I was grouching about the inability of digital to
cope with highlights. This was one taken during that period. I think I actually
(surprise, surprise) shot this one in RAW, and tried processing it in Raw
Therapee. One major objective was to recover detail in the highlights and/or
tone them down a lot without losing other detail.

If adding oomph would worsen the blown highlights - I'll save it for another
day.

>From memory I used (couple of days ago) relatively new features in
FastStone Image Viewer to do that. It now has curves control etc and I
played around with them

The view taken into the last of the autumn sunlight for the day was very
attractive, but a challenge. Unfortunately, it is no longer just half an hour's
drive away from my abode; it's 300 miles away now. And 300 miles back.

Thanks for the comments, all.

Brian Swale.