Re: [OM] Some new data points, was: XP Printer advice.

Subject: Re: [OM] Some new data points, was: XP Printer advice.
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 09:55:37 -0700
Hi Fernando,

Sounds like the guy who had problems is just an outlier. We've used Spybot
for years on hundreds of systems within our school district and it has never
caused a problem with installation or removal. It has also functioned quite
well in catching various bits of spyware and malware.

That said, I've yet to find a Windows anti-spyware or anti-virus program
that functions well for *all* threats. Each seems to have its weaknesses,
and just as soon as one assumes there will be no significant problems, it
always seems that someone comes up with a configuration that causes one.
Each and every antispyware or antivirus product will slow performance of the
machine to some degree. Can't be doing real-time scanning and *not* do so...
CPU cycles and disk access are required, after all.

One just has to try and find the product that has the least adverse effect
on your particular environment, which, unfortunately, is a trial-and-error
proposition.

As always, "your mileage may vary".