Re: [OM] ZX-1 or G12

Subject: Re: [OM] ZX-1 or G12
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 16:43:56 -0700
On 8/1/2011 3:14 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Oly considers the Pens belt-loopable at least with any of the pancakes
> or the 14-42.  Perhaps giving up too much FL range
> for the increased performace at higher ISO for the A.C.M.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3pzpztf

I've had that sort of belt cases for a couple of cameras, most recently for the
A650. I don't like them. The coarse
fabric and soft 'wings' of the flap catch on things, especially jackets. The
buckle closure is slow and clumsy when
hanging from a belt and the vertical form is also slow. And they seem to
inevitably catch on various camera bits to slow
down extraction.

The best belt case I've ever had is the one for the early Fuji 'F' series.
Excellent, smooth leather, horizontal design,
magnetic catch and cutout on the back for the hand strap. One finger opens the
latch while the others grasp the strap
and pull the camera out, ready to use. No extraneous size or protuberances for
carrying anything but the camera itself.
Fabulous!

Canon has never made such a functionally excellent belt case that I'm aware of.
The vertical leather case they sold
outside the US for the S110 was close, and I still have the one I bought from
Canada. They all seem to sacrifice the
basic function of carrying the camera so it may be put to use as quickly and
easily as possible to cheapness and/or
extraneous functions.

My current case for the G11 is from Nikon. I never have been sure what model,
as I found it in a sale bin of various
cases. It's close to perfect, smooth leather, fitting the camera snugly,
horizontal orientation with opening for hand
strap. The velcro closure isn't as ideal as the Fuji magnetic snap, but quite
functional. The cover flap is relatively
stiff when velcroed closed, with nice, rounded edges. It doesn't catch on
clothing or other things.

So, apart from hating the specific design . . . The other simple problem for me
is the depth. Listed at two inches, I'll
bet with 14-42, it pushes out a bit more than that. Has to, as the cameras are
about 1.6" deep and the lens is 2.2" long
= 3.8"

Oh, I see there is a retractable 14-14, bringing the total down to 3.3". But
that would defeat my whole purpose of
speedy deployment. In any case, the 2.25" depth of the G11 case is already on
the edge of comfortable for me under
jackets, adjacent to the seat belt latch in cars, etc.

I'll have the G11 out, take three shots and back in the case before an
E-thingie in this case takes its first shot.

O. K. Corral Moose