Re: [OM] prius

Subject: Re: [OM] prius
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 09:22:59 -0400
...or is it a dual filament bulb (one for brake light and one for tail
light). I ran into this problem with my CR-V. After six years the right
brake light failed. I pulled it and replaced it. Month later same bulb went
out. They came in a two-pack so I had another bulb. Replaced it a second
time but this time I had one of my kids press the brake pedal to test it and
I noticed the left (original) brake light was twice as bright as the new
right brake light. I turned on the running lights and the reverse was true.
Aha! The filaments are different. I pulled the new bulb and rotated it 180
degrees and reinstalled. Now both bulbs look the same. My guess is that the
"running" filament isn't is as robust as the "brake" filament and my be on a
different voltage/wattage/amperage whatever. Curious that the bulb has no
index mark and the section in the owners manual on changing bulbs is totally
silent on the issue of bulb orientation.

Charlie