Re: [OM] (OM) OT Happy Apple

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Happy Apple
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 15:33:48 -0700
On 7/19/2011 11:55 AM, Paul Laughlin wrote:
> I guess.  But the iPad 2 is out now and they still haven't fixed any of
> that stuff.

My younger son just got an iPad for his 30th. birthday. He's been practically
glued to it for over a week and is VERY
happy with it.

He had an iPod Touch, then iPhone, so the 'Pad is all familiar territory to
him. He's a graphic artist and has done lots
of paying work with his fingers on the iPod touch screen. So he is very excited
by the larger 'Pad touch screen with all
the same apps he already knows.

I have no idea how he was able to do the work he did on the 'Pod/Phone screens,
but it's good and the clients come back.
When it's to be reproduced large, like a recent coat of arms for a pub/bar
door, he does it as vector art, which doesn't
stress memory or storage like raster work does, and scales up or down without
loss.

For him, and a great many people in that age group, ideas about music and
images are simply different than for me. A
JPEG that looks fairly good on the 'Pod/Phone/Pad or computer screen is all he
desires. He recognizes the difference
between that and the images I work with, but doesn't value the difference.

It's a really cute, colorful, fun thingie. I've found myself getting excited
about it at least a couple of times. Then I
play with one for a few minutes, realize that I've been enjoying a fairly
expensive toy/game, and start to lose my
enthusiasm. Then I think about what I might actually want to do with it.

Most of my computer time is spent working with images, on this list, a modest
amount of other web use, shopping,
checking a couple of blogs and looking things up, and with a travel computer I
can use to download and backup images on
the road.

I could easily do the list and other email, although I've been using a regular,
full size keyboard for so long that's
it's like second nature to my fingers. I haven't tried the touch screen virtual
keyboard.

I could certainly do the web stuff on an iPad, but I already find the 11.6"
1366x768 screen on my netbook+ to be less
than ideal, especially vertically, for writing, web browsing and viewing
images. Even in full screen browser mode, I
can't quite see the whole vertical 780 pixels I use for web images. The iPad is
1024x768, but smaller, so the pixel
pitch is 132ppi vs. 96 on the netbook+

It seems clear that the iPad doesn't have tools or storage capacity for field
photography work, nor, I'd guess, the
ability to also back images up to an external drive in the form I would like.

And finally, the netbook+ runs PS pretty well, to my surprise.

Technology moves on. Perhaps the iPad 6 will be useful for me. :-)   What I
really dream about now is a new desktop with
bigger monitor, multi core processor, gobs of memory, an SSD or two, and so on.
Now THAT sounds like FUN!

Are We Having Fun Yet Moose