Re: [OM] Question--high mag stacking project for OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Question--high mag stacking project for OM
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 18:16:09 -0400 (EDT)

re-reading Mike's original note Dr. Flash notices that Mike said:
>>"Plan to use cross polarization flash..."

>>In other words, there are two flashes, they're already off the camera
and they aren't moving even though the camera might be. As to my
original >>response I say: Never mind... well, almost. The fact that
the flashes are not moving minimizes the chance of TTL flash exposure
variation from >>frame to frame. However, it still leaves the chance
that the (now much more likely) constant exposure is still in error.
After all, a TTL flash >>measurement is still a reflected light meter
measurement which is only ever correct when reflected from a gray card.
But, if the error is not >>large, it can be easily corrected in post
after all the (constant) exposures are combined in the stacking.

I had planned on two flashes --perhaps the T28 on single flash and a
T32 just to balance the lighting and get more photons (pol on cam too
of course) I have pol film for the flashes(--thanks Dean!!)) the
sweet spot of the lens is f8 or so balancing dof and and diffraction,
but I can use it
wider as am bracketing anyway and that just might make the T28
adequate---only a T22 with both lights on. That would tbe easier but
may not be adequate. Dean says that with Xpol he puts two T32's on
the Lepp II bracket to get enough umph, but he has to stop down more
for dof.

Thought to mount them on the Lepp II bracket as well but is is
getting unwieldy with the tripod center column upside down and not
much clearance.
It is a very touchy rig despite the fancy shmancy tripod. Also If I
move the cam the Flashes move as well and could be imp't at macro
distances. I do have a Metz flash with an assortment of manual
settings too but that is too heavy for the bracket. May focus bracket
with the helicoid to avoid that , but that is not easy either w/o
disturbing the subject.  Perhap shoul dthink about that RRS geared
macro rail gizmo (CFO cringes)

I did a dry run sans flashes and I think it can be done but it takes
a good while to set up. There may be an easier way.

Thanks for thinking about this Chuck and  Dr. Flash.

Hopefully, high MAG Mike