Re: [OM] On a totally unrelated note

Subject: Re: [OM] On a totally unrelated note
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 16:45:40 -0700
On 7/5/2011 5:19 PM, Bill Pearce wrote:
> Been here 28 years now and the only move I will accept now is to the
> crematorium.
>
> I suspect you will get that opportunity. Unless, of course, you have
> grandchildren, then your wife will drag you to the gates of hell. Can't
> happen to me, but seen it many times, and my general observance is that it
> unrewarding for granddad.

My general observation is that it is often problematic for more of the parties
involved than just the granddad.

I've observed that many children move far away from their parents for very
serious reasons. I know a kid in his 20s who
was shy and seemed sort of suppressed and depressed when living as he only
child with a couple of very strong willed
parents with strong personalities. He found a girl friend (or she found him)
who really started drawing him out.

They moved 3,000 miles away and the change in him has been huge and all
positive, as far as I can tell. They are now
engaged. If they have kids, there is a serious risk his parents will follow to
wherever the grandchild(ren) are. That's
gonna be trouble.

Moose