Re: [OM] getting out of OM

Subject: Re: [OM] getting out of OM
From: Peter Leyssens <peterleyssens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 04:00:19 +0900 (JST)
Ken,

thanks for your kind words. I get a few reactions and immediately, I recognise
names and people, I get timewarped to days when (what's his name again) was
bragging about his bulk purchases on eBay or his incredible deals on really
expensive gears. It's been quite a while since I left, but boy, does it bring
back memories.

> Peter, I'm not in a position, right now, to fund the transfer of goods to my
> bag, so I wish you the best possible deal. Just a note, though. I use my
> Zuikos with adaptors on 4/3 cameras. The imagery from the combination is so
> good that I've almost completely abandoned newer optics.

Darn, maybe I should try out that 50/1.4 on my E-P1 anyway. I already got one
private message inquiring into pricing, so it might be too late. Of course I'll
regret selling the gear. But I also regret having it just laying there
gathering dust.

> I know that my awareness of light
> is so much greater when using a manual-exposure camera. When the awareness
> of light is greater, the thought process regarding what to do with the light
> is greater.

Exactly. My process used a few tools that just don't exist anymore. First, I'd
take a couple of high key spots, noting mentally which ones were brighter and
could be afforded to clip. Same for low keys. Then, I'd focus on the closest
object that I wanted in focus, noting the distance. Same for the object
furthest away. That gave me the aperture, and with the exposure info from the
spot metering, I had the shutter speed.

Now *that* was awareness of the light in a scene !

> The OM body with the 50/1.4 is a wonderful combination. I kinda prefer the
> 35mm focal length for my "normal", but the lens is able to produce such
> dimensionality to the image and is bright enough to provide good
> focusability.

Particularly with the 2-13 screen that I have !  That purchase was worth *MUCH*
more than its weight in gold :)

> Granted, I use the OM-3Ti, which has a few differences from the OM-3, but
> both are almost identical in function and design. The ability to adapt to
> the Zone System for exposure control is unlike ANYTHING else out there. The
> camera is unique, special and nothing like it will ever be created again.
>
> BTW, feel free to continue to hang around here. We're just a friendly
> campfire where we discuss many things, but with the common anchor of having
> or enjoying Olympus gear.

Yeah, there we go. I remember. I join the Olympus Mailing List owning an OM-1
with a 50/f1.8 or something like that, and a few years later I have an OM-3,
OM-4Ti, 28/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 50/f1.8 or 2 extra, 75-150, 90/f2, 200/f4, a pinhole
body cap I made myself, and then some. And here you are doing it again,
convincing me to keep the whole shebang because it's so gorgeous !

You lot haven't changed a bit :)

Peter.