[OM] (OM) Henri Cartier-Bresson The decisive moment

Subject: [OM] (OM) Henri Cartier-Bresson The decisive moment
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 18:49:59 -0400 (EDT)
 <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Fildes/Pietro.htm>

>I'm not sure what the Zeiss look is, but hope the subtle changes
doesn't mess
>it up.

Hmm,
Very nice portrait before and after the changes.  Well a Zeiss quality
photog took it.

Had to look twice, but all the changes mentioned are visible on my
monitor.  I see the artifacts mentioned by Fernando too.  I am certain
eagle eyed Moose noted them but
was demonstrating an effect, already took the time to make a roll over
and wasn't worth fixing for the demonstration. That's my theory and I'm
sticking to it,
unless directly contradicted at which point the theory  will be
withdrawn forthwith.  ;-)

The sine qua non of the "Zeiss look" is a biting microcontrast and many
time a "3D" look.  Pixel peeping at some images at 100%, contrasting a
Zeiss with a prime L lens (on FM alt lens forum),
showed the resolution of the L was if anything a tad better in that
example though the Zeiss appeared sharper due to the higher
microcontrast ( I think it at the 8 pixel level or so at least on
images I've seen).

Curiosity got the better of me and I finally sniped a CZ 35-70/3.4
which is very Zeiss in rendering .  (drinking the Kool-aide on the alt
lens forum?) The images do not require much clarity slider or LCE or
they are over-cooked.  Can PP mimic this?
Have seen this feat done well on FM but the PP was done by a highly
skilled photog with the Zeiss image in hand to tweak the image.  One
could not tell at least on the web image.  Perhaps it would not
hold up well in a large print.  Bob has the Zeiss 21 ZF which is about
as "Zeiss" as it gets and prints super nice large prints, so he would
know better than I.

Have  never seen a Contax G lens  (built for AF?) but I think the 45 is
about as sharp as you get and is supposed to be every bit as nice as
the DZ 50F2, IIRC.

  Need to spend more time using my nice OM gear and less time
pixel-peeping, Mike

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/822469/0