Re: [OM] (OM) OT words

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT words
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2011 21:25:30 +1000
I'm in two camps here - on the one hand, the over-prescribing of Serotonin
re-uptake inhibitors is clearly a problem, I have had some depressive episodes
and medication was useful. One was Diazepam to get over the 'hump' of reactive
depression when i lost a job I loved thanks to the action of dark and
stupid/ignorant forces. Of course, this was quite normal and it was merely help
to calm down a bit and get some bloody sleep until the mood passed. The other
was of a more 'clinical' character, far more scary and inexplicable but the
treatment was not an SRI - there was a specifically physical cause which was
pharmaceutically treatable.
In both cases I was able to avoid anyone with 'psy' in front of their job
description.

Everything gives you cancer? It's a 'normal' condition now to be fearful. I've
more or less given up on newspapers now apart from real news like the weather -
and the crossword of course. I'm lousy at them but enjoy the humiliation of
failing at them. The content of the 'news' sections seems to be stuff that I've
seen before many times though with different names on it. It isn't that
important. I've found it quite liberating. If something really important
happens globally or nationally, someone will tell me or my favourite TV drama
will be interrupted to let me know. If something happens locally, then it'll be
discussed in the cafe where I spend time most days.
The fears are phantoms - most of us live in safe and stable nations and will
come to no real harm.
Selfish? You bet.

My time tends to manage itself - there isn't enough of it so I do what I can,
as I can.
Things that pay me get done first, especially if they are interesting.
If they aren't interesting, I get them done and don't go there again.
Mostly I don't do anything that I don't enjoy, especially work.
Such are the pleasure of having a moderate pension
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx