Re: [OM] (OM) OT words

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT words
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 20:06:58 -0700
On 6/1/2011 3:52 PM, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> I love Ronson - Adventures with Extremists was his best. I'll buy this one.
> '...people in the middle getting overlabelled...'  Oh yes. ADHD is the
> classic, massively overdiagnosed and medicated. I see it as a kind of
> existential crisis. People have a deep uneasiness about the meaninglessness
> of life, they seek an answer in mental 'health' and are comforted by a label
> - 'Oh it's alright, I have an illness.'

Yup. Everybody is somewhere somewhere on the continuum between placidly
watching a wall and bouncing off the walls. Ever
so easy to blame the ills caused by contemporary life on a disease and take
pills to enable one to continue doing what
caused the problem in the first place.

I can't imagine you wouldn't find the book "Manufacturing Depression" of great
interest.
<http://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing-Depression-Secret-History-Disease/dp/B0048ELE54/ref=pd_sim_b_9>

OCD is another one. Someone with very little of it's components is a hopeless
slob. Someone with a bit more than normal
was idolized (probably still is) in many occupations, esp. housework.

It sometimes seems like the two ruling ideas of my culture these days are:

1. Be afraid, very afraid - of pretty much everything.
2. Blame the symptoms of being fearful all the time, and many others, on
organic illness.

Another workshop I offered last weekend was on a method to take time management
apart and find how to use it to free up
time and do less - without ignoring anything actually important.

No Meds Moose