Re: [OM] (OM) Spring 2011 down-under

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Spring 2011 down-under
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 21:08:15 -0700

On 5/31/2011 5:07 AM, Brian Swale wrote:
> <clip good advice on photographing flowers>
> To my eyes, aspects of some of your flower shots that bother me are . . .
>   (c) highlights on the subject that are too bright (use RAW?)
> . . .
>
> If I've got this wrong, throw a bucket of cold water over me and move on . :-)

I think you've got it quite right. However, your last image posts, like some
before them, have blown highlights themselves.

In the otherwise lovely images of fallen leaves in excellent compositions, some
of the brightest leaves are almost
white, rather than yellow. A little investigation shows that this is because
the red & green channels are clipped.

One effect of channel clipping is that it changes colors. Here, many leaves
range from their true color to a much
lighter shade of yellow to white. in these images, the red channel is heavily
clipped, and the green somewhat less so.
Where only the red is clipped, the pixel will be an oranger shade of yellow.
Where both are clipped, they approach the
blue level. With all three closer to even, the pixel is closer to white.

I've overdone bringing down the highlights, I hope making it clearer where
clipping has occurred, and included
histograms. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/BSwale/Fall_Color.htm>

I can't know whether this happened in the original capture, in
conversion/processing or in whatever Facebook does to them.

There is a little clipping in the red images posted next. Doesn't do much but
throw off colors we don't know anyway and
obscure some surface detail.

Don't Clip Moose