Re: [OM] need advice on which iso 400 slide film

Subject: Re: [OM] need advice on which iso 400 slide film
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 00:07:17 +1200
Chris wrote
> Thanks, Chuck.  I'm finding composition of flowers quite difficult at the
> moment.  It would have helped, of course, if I had bothered to take my
> tripod out to the garden.

I know that not everybody agrees with me, but may I suggest you try the
following. (did you mean *composition*, or *photography generally, of
flowers* ?)

If this sounds like telling a grandmother how to suck eggs, I apologise in
advance.

1) Choose a day which is bright overcast.
2) Choose a flower for which you can line up a *distant*  background which
is dark in in shadow and which lacks annoying texture or detail.
3) expose from the flower.

If this is not possible, pick one or more flowers out of the garden, arrange
them in a suitable sized vase and place on a suitable pedestal in sidelight
only. Drape some non-reflective black fabric over a suitable support, placed
in such a way that *no* direct bright light strikes it, and take whatever shot
takes your fancy.
To my eyes, aspects of some of your flower shots that bother me are (a)
backgrounds that are too bright, (b) backgrounds with too much
recognisable detail (c) highlights on the subject that are too bright (use
RAW?)

Don't hesitate to crop your shots afterwards to obtain good composition.
With 16.5 megapixies you have heaps of detail to work with.

If I've got this wrong, throw a bucket of cold water over me and move on . :-)

Brian Swale.