[OM] (OM) OT words

Subject: [OM] (OM) OT words
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 14:19:16 +1200
More or less in line with the language topic Boris raised is this one that I
noticed recently; especially since I have a few special ones to grow.

There is a little herbaceous plant in the Ranunculaceae, the generic name (
not *whose* name ! )  is Anemone.  You can see a pic at the centre of the
opening page of www.brianswale.com
Try pronouncing it.

If you follow the spelling, to my ears it seems awkward.

In my area it is pronounced "Anenome". With a long "e" at the end as in
"feel".
Maybe with practice against decades of wrong sounds, it will seem OK if I
follow the spelling strictly.

Comment anybody?    Maybe I am the only person who does this.

Brian Swale.