Re: [OM] Photoshop and Lightroom

Subject: Re: [OM] Photoshop and Lightroom
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 19:29:47 -0400
I'm on my second version of Lightroom and my fourth version of
PhotoShop.  So far I've done little but open Lightroom up a few times to
give it a quick look.  But I use PhotoShop at least once a week and
sometimes for days on end.

The thing that I do not like about Lightroom (and probably what draws
other people to it) is that it wants to "manage" my images.  I have my
own system of image management which is rather minimalist but suits me fine.

I find that PhotoShop really does all that I require and, since
Lightroom isn't a full-blown editor it doesn't do all that I require.
Someone mentioned automation in handling images as a Lightroom strength
which is something I don't understand, probably because I haven't
pursued Lightroom enough to understand all it can do.  But all of the
automation that I think I need can also be found in PhotoShop and
Bridge.  The only automation I think I need is processing similarly
exposed images in ACR as a group.  Bridge allows selecting the similar
images and then passes them as a group to ACR.  I adjust one image,
select the rest and tell ACR to apply the same changes to all.  I then
step through the modified images and make small tweaks for those that
have a similar but not identical exposure.

After I'm done with those things that ACR can do I'm left with PhotoShop
and everything I do at that point is very specific to each individual
image.  I don't see how automation can help.

One of these days I'll dig into Lightroom futher but I've been saying
that for the last couple of years since I first got Lightroom 1. Now I
have CS5 and Lightroom 3.2 but I still don't understand it very well.  I
suspect that my propensity to do serious editing on lots of images means
that Lightroom doesn't really hold much for me.

But you need to hear from a serious Lightroom user.  But I suspect
you'll find that, like Nathan, they are averse to editing much beyond
exposure corrections.  I wonder if, for them, it's really much more than
a means to pass images into ACR.

Chuck Norcutt