Re: [OM] OM TTL flash behaviour

Subject: Re: [OM] OM TTL flash behaviour
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 11:15:55 -0400
Well, I mostly agree with Ken.  We certainly agree with keeping a fixed
distance but not on the point of recommending a prime lens.  Nothing
wrong with a prime lens but, since you're trying to maintain exposure by
keeping a constant distance, the use of a zoom allows you to frame the
subject without changing your distance by zooming with your feet.  But
the only sort of zoom that's appropriate for this type of work is a
constant aperture zoom or else you must always use an aperture that is
at least as small as the minimum size when the lens is at full
telephoto.  In other words, if I were using my Tamron 24-135/3.5-5.6 I
would never set an aperture of f/4 since the Tamron is only good for f/4
up to about 35mm.  Zooming the lens to a longer focal length could
suddenly find the lens limited to its smallest aperture of f/5.6 and an
inadvertent under-exposure of 1 stop.  If I'm shooting manual flash
indoors the lens I use is the Tokina 28-80/2.8.

Dr. Flash