Re: [OM] OM TTL flash behaviour

Subject: Re: [OM] OM TTL flash behaviour
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 23:01:46 -0400
Dr. Flash highly recommends the Sekonic L-358.  After all, that's his
flash meter too.  Yes, the Sekonic L-358 is a flash meter and I use it
more as a flash meter than any other function.  The advantage of the
L-358 as a flash meter comes when using it for fill flash.  The L-358
measures both ambient and flash simultaneously and reports the
percentage of the total light that's flash (in 10% increments).  When
the meter reads 10-20% you've got a good fill flash.  Although it only
reads in 10% increments you can interpolate in-between readings by
changing the aperture setting to see how many 1/3 stop aperture clicks
it takes to roll the reading over to a different 10% increment.

L-358 = highly recommended.

It will also take an internal radio transmitter module that will fire
Pocket Wizards for measurements.  I've got the transmitter but don't use
Pocket Wizards... (too expensive).

ps:  The L-358 has been out for at least 5-6 years.  They're $309 at B&H
but you could probably find a used one at a good savings.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/221078-REG/Sekonic_401_358_L_358_Flash_Master_Meter.html>

Dr. Flash