Re: [OM] Long exposures with an OM2N - advice needed

Subject: Re: [OM] Long exposures with an OM2N - advice needed
From: "Walters, Martin" <Martin.Walters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 11:14:22 -0400
Chuck, Piere, John:
Thanks for your input. When I say that I can't read the needle, it means
my challenge is that I cannot tell whether I can use auto (ie, less than
3.5 mins at the chosen aperture) or not. I really need to get a handle
on whether I can or I need to go with "B" plus timer.

The workaround for the digital guys (and gals) was (depending on
camera), jack the iso and aperture until they could get a reading. Then,
calculate backwards (mentally) based on desired iso and aperture. That's
something that I figured I would have to do with a meter. I've found two
used meters available locally - a 358 and a Gossen Luna Pro F. One is
backlit, the other will memorize the reading (read with
torch/flashlight).

I don't have a problem doing the back calculation - as long as I know
that starting point.  And, yes, there's reciprocity failure to take into
consideration. The latitude of Portra helps in that regard. Again,
without a light reading, I can't calculate RF either (as far as I can
tell).

I'm glad John chimed in, because I'd wondered what the auto system would
do when it reached its max timing - close the shutter.

I'll look up the Kodak books, though I doubt I'd have them for the next
class.

Martin