Re: [OM] IMG: Cicada Time

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Cicada Time
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 15:34:11 -0400
As a result of this discussion I decided to learn a bit more about
cicadas and discovered that the US has annual cicadas and 13 and 17 year
cicadas.  The annual cicadas actually have a 2-3 year life cycle but
generations overlap such that we see some of them every year.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tibicen>
The 13 and 17 year types are of the same genus which contains three 17
year species and four 13 year species.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magicicada>

Chuck Norcutt