Re: [OM] IMG: Cicada Time

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Cicada Time
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 08:07:26 +1000
We get a small brown variety around here and the great big Greengrocer -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclochila_australasiae
http://www.pbase.com/afildes/image/68436285
http://www.pbase.com/afildes/image/68436286
- a beautiful beast which I now discover is a seven year cicada!
That's why it's been quiet the last few years.
They are incredibly loud - a big emergence can be painfully loud if you're out
near the trees and they can keep you awake at night.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx