Re: [OM] Great Idea - but not today

Subject: Re: [OM] Great Idea - but not today
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 08:53:58 -0500
> Let me put this as succinctly as I can: I don't give a S**T what others
think they want if what they think is about how I produced what I produced.
I ain't AA, and I ain't EW. Never have been, never will be. My market
dynamic is so different from theirs as to be on another planet.

Bob, you poke the bear with a stick, don't get all huffy when the bear
growls!

Trust me, I'm NOT trying to tell you how to do your job or telling you that
your work stinks because you didn't use Version 8.8291 of something instead
of Version 8.8131. But you do come across to me as one of those
"enlightened" folks who "get it" and everybody else who even offers a
differing viewpoint is a hick. This is evident in the "I don't miss it"
comments because it implies (to me, at least) that you've moved on for XYZ
valid reasons (and they very well may be in your case as well as mine to a
certain extent), therefore anybody who still uses those old technologies is
somehow related to Sarah Palin and is a Tea-Partier.

The point to all this is that Art-Photography implies "creative visual
arts". Some people paint, others sculpt, some people use electronic
displays--even lasers, while some of us use photography. Some of us also use
our cameras for "please pay me, I'm a guy with a camera who will shoot your
portrait or event" applications. I actually use "film" as a gimmick to get
business. Sure, I'll admit it. I'll happily exploit people's ignorance and
play on their thinking that film is better than digital. After all, they
already have a decent digital camera and if they wanted what they already
can get, they'll just do it themselves.

When i have a picture somebody wants to buy, great! I'm not doing any shows,
no gallery displays, etc., but I do have my own marketplace. Could it be
stronger? Absolutely! But unlike you, it isn't the technology holding me
back, but my own talents and time. I'm actually not that good of a
photographer, but have rare moments of fortunate moments. For me, leaning on
certain formulas to success is important.

AG