Re: [OM] Great Idea - but not today

Subject: Re: [OM] Great Idea - but not today
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 06:47:22 -0400
Let me put this as succinctly as I can: I don't give a S**T what others think
they want if what they think is about how I produced what I produced. I ain't
AA, and I ain't EW. Never have been, never will be. My market dynamic is so
different from theirs as to be on another planet.

When I said we're hardwired differently, I meant it. You talk about this look
and trying to match that look and how you can't get the Velvia look out of
digital and Tri-X has its own signature, etc. That doesn't concern me. Wouldn't
even try to match it. Doesn't even enter my thought processes. In fact, it's
been more than a couple of years since I looked at my slides. Each and every
image is what it is. I process it as I think it ought to be processed, whether
color or black & white. And you know as well as I that good digital processing
is not pressing a bunch of buttons and moving sliders around. It takes real
dedication and a lot of sweat and frustration to learn how to do it right.
Sometimes I do it right, sometimes not. Sometimes I can't get something to work
the way I want it to so I stop messing with it and come back a year or so later
and it all comes clear.

I can't speak for others, but at this stage of my life I can't and won't serve
two masters. I made my choice and I don't regret it; and while I admire folks
who still work with film, I'm not going to do it, If all the film supplies in
the world dried up overnight, I'd be said, but it wouldn't cost me a moment's
sleep. All that Kodachrome hoo-ha a little while back? Nothing. Nada. And I
used to shoot Kodachrome 25 all the time. Loved it. But I don't miss it. Loved
my Nikon F bought in Vietnam in 1968, but I don't miss it. Loved my Hassy, but
I don't miss it. Loved my OM stuff, but I don't miss it. Loved my Texas Leica,
but I don't miss it. Loved large format, but I don't miss it. In fact, I'm
getting ready to sell the last of my 4x5 gear. All that stuff led me to where I
am today, and what I use today will lead me to where I will be tomorrow.

'Nuf said, I think.

--Bob