Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 9/4/2011: señorita with dog

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 9/4/2011: señorita with dog
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 15:40:37 -0700
On 4/13/2011 4:17 AM, Bob Whitmire wrote:
> Do you paint the mask with a brush or use some sophisticated Moosic technique?

I almost always start with one or more of the many selection tools. Painting is
mostly for edges, feathering in effects,
etc. done after main selection and adjustments.

I don't know if you have discovered the uses of extreme adjustments in
facilitating selection. For example, a temporary
layer may have brightness, contrast, etc. adjusted to some extreme so that
selecting highlights picks up just the area
one wants to apply as a mask to the original layer. Then delete the temporary
layer. Yet another reason I value layers
so highly.

In the subject image, almost everything was selected using other tools, and
brushing only for a little fine tuning. For
example, the deconvolution blur reduction and the sharpening worked well for
most of the water, but overdid the white,
breaking water, so a partial flow brush was passed over that area and one area
of the rocks, to reduce the effect.

Painting everything is just too time consuming and, at least in my case, too
easy to misapply, to use anywhere I don't
have to.

Moose