Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 9/4/2011: señorita with dog

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 9/4/2011: señorita with dog
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 14:51:19 -0700
On 4/12/2011 12:57 AM, SwissPace wrote:
> Hi Moose,
>
> How did you do this, it look a bit more than just sharpening, did you use
> focus magic?
>
> inquisitive Ian would like to know

1. Focus Magic, Out OF Focus correction of one pixel applied at 80% to the
whole image. If working with original size, a
larger pixel number would be used. FM analyzes and proposes a value, which
usually needs to be adjusted a bit by eye.

2. Separate layer with FM OOF @ two pixels, applied at 100%, masked to only
show foreground objects, woman, dog, bench,
bicycle, etc. Also including the sky; this has no effect on the sky itself, but
retains the effect on her hair against
the sky. It's in the nature of OOF images that the amount  of blur varies with
distance. So it is often useful to apply
different settings to objects at different distances.*

3. Fred Miranda's Intellisharpen II, sharpening 0, fine detail 10, halo low,
applied at 80% to the combined lower
layers, with mask painted to reduce effect on the surf.

4. Levels, masked to apply only to foreground objects in shadow.

5. Repeat application of #3.

Moose

* For example, this lovely LF portrait missed focus slightly, to my eye, with
the focal plane on the hair. FM applied
lightly only to eyes, nose and mouth moves the apparent focal plane back
slightly, as though original focus had been on
the left eye.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Misc/ashleylegotron.htm>