Re: [OM] OT age segregation - was RE: Good imagery

Subject: Re: [OM] OT age segregation - was RE: Good imagery
From: "Jeff Keller" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 09:29:14 -0700
Insanity is not a sacrifice that achieves anything worthwhile.

Would you move your 87 year old mother with two bad knees, four fractured
vertebrae, and a fractured pelvis into your living room knowing that your
wheelchair bound 85 year old mother-in-law would insist on moving in at the
same time? Of course the mother-in-law thinks your mother should be her
maid. Add a 61 year old brother-in-law who has never worked a day in his
life but has to "demonstrate how devoted" he is to his mother by being
present every day, yet constantly repeats, trying to improve the stories
he's told for the last 40 years to his mother about why she should give him
more money. The mother-in-law has also given all of her available resources
to the worthless son and has been giving your things to the worthless son
for years. Calling it a sacrifice that has to be made would be a very poor
choice and yield disastrous results.

Not surprising in hind sight, it seems those with the most immediate
experience with senior living centers, though maybe not thrilled seem the
most positive about them. Continual loss of self sufficiency is not likely
to have a positive plan, just the least worst.

Maybe Chuck's experience with his father having a routine he was comfortable
with but hoping for more security and companionship by leaving what he likes
sums up much of the problem. I think for me the hope that finding a senior
living center that can also function as a nursing home when necessary is the
best plan. The remaining question is WHEN and can it be found and not have
significant issues.

Hearing other people's thoughts and experiences is helpful. Thanks everyone.

Jeff Keller