Re: [OM] OT age segregation - was RE: Good imagery

Subject: Re: [OM] OT age segregation - was RE: Good imagery
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 16:10:47 -0500
> Poorly people have to be looked after in appropriate places, but Sun City
> looks like a ghetto for the elderly.  In many countries the elderly live with
> their offspring, or nearby at least, while they are healthy enough to do so.

I hate to say it, but the American Culture has less respect for the
elderly. But on the flip side, I'd say that it is our own doing. What
has resulted is a nanny-state where thanks to all sorts of programs,
such as Social Security, Medicaid/care, heating assistance, etc.,
etc., there is no need for us younger generations to directly care for
our elderly. There are places we send them and government paid ways
for them to be cared for. Doesn't cost me a dime other than the taxes.

Granted, these programs were all necessary to address the extreme
poverty issues among portions of the population--especially when a
younger generation wasn't available to care for them, but those very
programs created to assist in monetary means destroyed the very fabric
of the family assistance.

But, that's not the entire story, though. American Culture is also
based on migratory traits. Most of our ancestors migrated here from
other countries, and every generation migrates to another part of the
country. I'm of a family of eight kids and not a single one of us
lives within 400 miles of where we grew up. Does that make us bad
people? Or are we just following the American tradition?  I do call my
dad every few weeks.

AG