Re: [OM] IMG: Moon Over Tennessee

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Moon Over Tennessee
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 12:18:42 -0500
Fernando,

This was sent to me on the LUG last night.  Probably more than you want, but
here it is:

"It's raining cats and dogs! But there are other dates. A piece of software
called The Photographers Ephemeris (TPE) is very useful.
Per Jeff Sullivan:

"If you catch the moon rising a short while before sunset, the landscape
starts
brighter and ends up darker than the moon, so at some point between moonrise
and
twilight, for a few minutes the moon and landscape are in balance in a
single
exposure. For a few minutes on either side of that ideal illumination, minor
editing techniques can salvage a successful result. Taking this approach, I
don't worry much about exposure at all, I can work that out in real time as
the
light changes. I do use automatic exposure bracketing to provide a range of
exposures to use (especially after the sweet spot of balanced light, when
the
moon gets too bright and it might be important to have one exposure for the
moon
and one for the landscape). It is important to keep exposures short, and I
regularly review results on my DSLR's LCD.
With the goal of shooting during a balanced moon/landscape exposure in mind,
the
day before the date of the full moon often offers the best opportunity for
landscape photography, since the moon comes up earlier and can clear the
horizon
while there's enough light to properly expose the landscape. Given that the
horizon is rarely at zero degrees in elevation, this also give the moon time
clear surrounding terrain as sunset color approaches. The moon is often just
few hours from full (say 99% full), essentially indistinguishable from a
full
moon to most viewers of the resulting image (and the image is pretty likely
be compelling enough to make any noticeable difference completely
unimportant).

Back in December I suggested the best dates for moonrises in 2011 on my
blog,
with approximate times and compass bearings noted as well (accurate for
mid-California):

Put Sunset Full Moon Rise Dates on your 2011 Calendar
http://activesole.blogspot.com/2010/12/put-sunset-full-moon-rise-dates-on-your.html

While the best sunset moonrise dates tend to occur a day before the full
moon,
you can also catch the full moon setting at times close to sunrise. The best
day
for that tends to be the day after the full moon. In this way you can
feature a
nearly full moon in images taken eastward or westward. Crescent moons can
also
be caught close to sunrise or sunset. To research these dates in advance,
try
the U.S. Naval Observatory Web site, which provides sun and rise and set
times
for towns close to your shooting location.

Plan Ahead for Great Full Moon Rise and Set Shots!
http://activesole.blogspot.com/2006/11/plan-ahead-for-great-full-moon-rise-and.html

The moon position also oscillates from south to north and back with the
seasons,
so for advanced users (not in intimidated by installing software), The
Photographer's Ephemeris (already mentioned) enables you to see sun and
moon rise/set angles on a Google Earth satellite image, and see how those
angles
(and elevations) change from one moonrise to the next and at any given time
of
day. You can even seen when the moon will clear the horizon. All of this
enables
you to choose a shooting position which lines the sun or moon up with
specific
landmarks, and to determine which month of the year enables particularly
favorable compositions/lineups to occur:

Anticipating Sun and Moon Position for Moonrise
http://activesole.blogspot.com/2010/03/anticipating-sun-and-moon-position.html

TPE is also available (for a fee) for iPhones, so you can check details from
the
field, but only when (IF) you get AT&T or Verizon service coverage.

There are only few full moons per year, even fewer that you'll have clear
weather to shoot, and they're a nice addition to many landscape photographs,
so
it makes sense to plan ahead and make the best of those few great
opportunities
that you have.

Jeff Sullivan
Moon (and sun)