Re: [OM] (OM) OT of nothing in particular

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT of nothing in particular
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 02:52:49 +1300
Andrew asked

> And which lake are you going to use the boat upon. :-)
> Are there any good fish in those lakes, perchance?

Lakes Dunstan (1 km distant) made from the Clutha River will have brown
trout and maybe rainbow (haven't checked);
Lakes Wakatipu (the unpronounceable one you saw) and Wanaka are about
an hour's drive away and will also have trout.
Lake Hawea (3 hr away) has sockeye salmon (land-locked) and possibly
trout, Lake Benmore same distance away is a much bigger lake (also hydro-
electric) with trout and probably land-locked quinnat = chinook salmon, and
L. Tekapo where I could meet up with an old flat-mate, has trout and he
catches them there.

Whether or not these are "good" fish to catch, is a matter of personal
opinion.

I do know that Southland fishing enthusiasts go through to Milford Sound
and go out to the open sea chasing blue-fin tuna.  Given Maggie's self-
proclaimed lack of enthusiasm for being out at sea in a small boat, I doubt
that the waters of Milford Sound (Google *Mitre Peak*) will be sullied by my
boat.

I could also drive to the east coast ( eg around Dunedin, or The Catlins) and
go sea fishing. Also to Oamaru, same.

Fishing for (acclimatised status) freshwater fish requires a licence. Not
worthwhile to not have one. In yesterday's Otago Daily Times, was a court
record of a fine imposed on an unemployed man for fishing on a stream;
$600 fine, + $136 for one set of costs and $200 for another. And his gear
was probably confiscated. In my case that could include the boat.

Time, hopefully, will tell.

So far I'm having fun teaching my adoptive grandchild ( nearly 8) piano. For
once she pays attention.  Doesn't believe that those funny black marks on
paper tell me what notes to play. Do I have news for her !, and this week too
:-)
This is my first decent chance to play the organ that I bought on a whim. It's
fun as well. Makes magnificent noises.

I am *not* a musician of any note at all (pun not intended), but I do like
music, and making it oneself brings a certain kind of pleasure from making
it..

Brian Swale.