Re: [OM] (OM) OT of nothing in particular

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT of nothing in particular
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 01:43:35 +1300
Ken wrote
> > I read the first line I thought I was going to read that you had managed
> > to get broadband... :-)
>
> When he does, he needs somebody like me to setup a whale of a WiFi
> system to wipe out all interferers under the same roof.
>
> Don't stand too close to the antennas unless you're done having children.

I've wondered about all these little radio stations people have in their
houses; I'm not at all enamoured of the idea.
BroadBand is actually "on" the radar, as my partner is also cheesed off with
the slow speed. When her son has his BB connected, my internet
connection slumps from about 36Kbps to 19.6 or less. He's asleep now as I
write and has left it connected, and my modem tells me that my speed is
21.6Kbps. Connect to something like Facebook and the actual drops to
something like 540 bps. When using my landline telephone, it's *very* noisy.
We'll sit down and look at the financing of it some time soon. I think she said
she was quoted something like $NZ 120 a month to put her and me on BB,
and including landline rental and a phone anywhere plan. ..

I've just made some monthly cost savings, so we'll see.

Actually, I *will* have to go back up there to bring my boat (unused for about
20 years) down here, but that may have to wait until spring (7 months away)
as I want to get a lot of servicing done by expert companies up there, and I
haven't got around to checking out how they are surviving the earthquakes. I
*did* contact all the relevant companies months ago, then things got all
shook up.

Moving house has cost what seems like a lot, to me. My upright grand
piano, a WIHA electronic organ, a large wooden chest of drawers, and an
office desk, have just this week cost $1285 to shift; using a small company
to go where the huge truck of an intercity mover could not go (after the 22nd
February large shake) cost me an extra $575. !!  All the rest I did myself. It
is great to have the piano in the same house as me again.  The organ I
bought many months ago on a whim, and I've never had it before where I
could use it, like now.

I'm looking forward to not having to juggle significant costs on what seems
like a knife-edge of income vs cost. Having said that, I suspect that time will
never come ...  Take getting the piano tuned, for example .
(The piano was bought by my maternal grandmother not long before I was
born.)  We *are* getting there ... I think.

Brian Swale.