Re: [OM] camera raw 6.3

Subject: Re: [OM] camera raw 6.3
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:10:40 -0400
Thanks for the question, John, since it caused me to compare noise
reduction in CS3 and CS5 and the difference is quite dramatic.

Just this morning I took a couple of shots of a flight of storks that
was circling overhead.  Since I had just walked outside the scene was
unexpected and I had no camera with me except the Samsung WB650 on my
belt.  The storks obligingly circled a few times such that I was able to
get off a couple of shots but, after downloading them to the computer, I
was dismayed by the amount of noise in the clear blue sky at ISO 80.
But that's what you get with a 12 MP P&S.

Responding to your query I searched around and found this
<http://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=1582934&seqNum=7>
At first I was disappointed since it really only points back to the same
noise reduction sliders that are also in CS3.  But I decided to give
both versions a try with the stork image and was very pleasantly
surprised.  At least in this particular case, although CS3 did reduce
the noise somewhat, CS5 essentially eliminated it.  I simply pushed the
luminance slider all the way to the right which made a very significant
difference but left a bit of false rose color sprinkled about.  Then I
pushed the color slider about half way over and the sky turned a perfect
blue.  To access the noise reduction panel click the third icon at upper
right which shows as two small pyramids.

I don't know how it will work with other images but for this one it was
excellent.  Incidentally, the WB650 doesn't support raw so I was working
with a JPEG image.  Impressive!

Chuck Norcutt